Skip to main content

Ride 41 - Lets Get This Done!

Ride 41 - 1 November 2019
Distance 60.7km (Distance to date 1272.2km)
Time 4hrs 5mins (Time to date 97hrs 22mins)

So, it's November.  I'm not going to lie, I've been starting to panic about getting this challenge finished; so I took action and have commenced a two day extravaganza of exploration!!  Two days to cover every road in the Esquimalt Peninsular 👊!

Esquimalt Peninsular





Roy G Bi?

Bob?

Richards Island.  I'm a mere apostrophe away from having my own island! 


As the map shows, I started this ride from Oak Bay Bikes.  A departure from the normal green bikes, I decided to rent myself a 'proper' as a treat.  My intention when I started this was to get bikes from a variety of places round Victoria, but that never happened, but I am no way tied to green bikes (before you ask)!

I took a days vacation to do this ride as the weather looked passable; turned out it was a peach of a day!

Throughout this challenge I've had great weather on waterfront days, lucky as this ride would have been pretty miserable in the rain or the wind!

Deer at the naval base.....with no credentials


November Sun



Points of Interest.....


Spark Plug Bird (48.42606, -123.42359)

A bird, made out of spark plugs!?  Banging.

This bird is lit

West Bay Waterfront (48.42619, -123.41937)

This little cove of land was an amazing little discovery.  Each street led down to a waterfront deck, pretty quiet and secluded.  I was tempted to get a G&T and stop!


It's late, that's the best I can do

I don't condone public alcohol consumption



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How many roads are there in Victoria?

So, before getting started, I'm going to make a guess of what I've taken on. The challenge is to cover every road in Victoria, I've taken 'Victoria' to mean Victoria and the surrounding areas / districts. So the municipality 'City of Victoria' has a total of 258km . Unfortunately, I've made my life difficult and included Esquimalt, Oak Bay and some of Saanich! Just a finger in the air here, but it looks like Victoria covers 1/4 of my area, so I'm looking at just over 1,000km.  On one of these: Jeepers

Biggest News in Saanich Right Now?

So I think I've had my 15 minutes of fame.  Man, it was quick. I was interviewed by the local paper............. and I was FRONT PAGE news!!!!  That's right, Victoria on a Bike was the biggest news in Saanich .  (We don't need to mention that this week's biggest news in Saanich was 20 people going on a 5km bike ride!*). Front Page The madness didn't stop there.  Next I received a call from CBC Radio and asked to be a guest on the All Points West radio show. This is the only evidence I can offer that I was on the radio! What's next you ask?  Well after all the attention my website had 60 hits (out of a metropolitan population of  >300,000), so I guess nothing is next and things will carry on as normal! * Incase you doubted me

Ride 28 - Foul Bay

Ride 28 - 5 August 2019 Distance 24.1miles (Distance to date  481.6  miles) Time 2hrs 56mins (Time to date 59hrs 48mins) No idea how Foul Bay Rd got it's name ( until now!! ), but it's not foul and there is no Foul Bay in Victoria. Still it makes for a pleasant bit of Urban Onroading! Sometimes timing is everything Points of Interest..... Jumping Dog (48.436641, --23.317773) Just a statue of a jumping dog.  It made me smile! Woof!